The longtime leader in hopper car outlet gate design and manufacture, Miner now covers the car from top to bottom. DuraShield hatch covers are available in both round and square end-cover configurations to accommodate most 24” trough designs and are available in all standard lengths. The DuraShield is constructed of a high performance aluminum composite material (aluminum skin top and bottom and a solid polyethylene core) over a rigid frame. The result is a lightweight profile cover system that is more durable than fiberglass and lighter weight than all-aluminum hatch covers.
Meets or Exceeds AAR S-2037-92
The Miner DuraShield hatch covers not only pass all the tests required by the AAR Standard, they significantly exceed the requirements in two key areas.
- Miner’s covers deliver one and a half to two times (7-9 lbs.) the specified gasket resistance both before and after all other tests including flexure and deflection.
- Miner’s gasket also doesn’t peel away until almost three times (280 lbs) the specified force is applied.
- Patent Pending Boxed Frame Design – provides strength for greater durability and stiffness.
- Full-length 3/16" Aluminum Angle – reinforces cover edge protecting it from damage during opening, and resists end-to-end distortion for a consistent seal.
- High Strength Steel Cross Members – form the end of the frame and resist damage from the batten bars.
- Permanently Flexible Adhesive – bonds cross members to the cover filling the joints before huck fasteners are applied to prevent leaks.
- Support Straps – extend down the full depth of the profile helping to prevent bowing of the vertical legs of the cover while dispersing the stress from the hinges increasing the life of the cover and minimizing leakage.
- Hinges – fasten directly to the support straps minimizing leakage and/or cracking.
- High Performance Composite Material – aluminum skins and solid polyethylene core provides an excellent strength-to-weight ratio for a lighter weight, more durable cover.
- Bumper – optional bumper adapts to varying car designs to allow cover to lay flat when open.
- Gaskets – stay in place at all temperature extremes. They are three times stronger than the AAR specification requires.